I am a Senior Engineer in the MT Team at Unbabel, Portugal. I work on the system that serves MT inference.
I am also wrapping up my Ph.D. on distributed systems and cloud computing from UCLouvain, Belgium and IST, Portugal.
I am advised by Marco Canini and
My research interests include but are not limited to Black-box optimization, Big data frameworks, large-scale distributed systems, cloud computing and machine learning.
- Social Psychology (Coursera)
- Leading People and Teams (Coursera Specialization)
- Udacity Nanodegree: AWS Cloud Architect (Certificate)
- Udacity Nanodegree: Cloud DevOps Engineer (Certificate)
- Udacity Nanodegree: Data Engineering (Certificate)
- Bachelors in Computer Engineering (2008-2012): COMSATS University, Islamabad Pakistan
- Masters in Distributed Computing (2013-2015): UPC, Barcelona and KTH, Stockholm
- Ph.D. in Distributed Computing (2015-2021): UCLouvain, Belgium and IST, Portugal
Experience and Internships
- Senior Engineer (July 2021 - Present) @ Unbabel, Portugal
- Research Engineer (May 2020 - Dec 2021) @ KTH, Sweden (Part-time)
- Visiting Ph.D Student (Jan 2017 - May 2017 and Jan 2018 - May 2018) @ KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- Research Intern (Feb 2015 - July 2015) @ Telefonica Research, Spain
- Finding the Right Cloud Configuration for Analytics Clusters. M. Bilal, M. Canini, R. Rodrigues. SoCC 2020.
- Do the Best Cloud Configurations Grow on Trees? An Experimental Evaluation of Black Box Algorithms for Optimizing Cloud Workloads. M. Bilal, M. Serafini, M. Canini, R. Rodrigues. VLDB 2020.
- Chimp: Crowdsourcing human inputs for mobile phones. Mario Almeida, Muhammad Bilal, Alessandro Finamore, Ilias Leontiadis, Yan Grunenberger, Matteo Varvello, Jeremy Blackburn. Proceedings of the 2018 World Wide Web Conference, 2018
- Towards automatic parameter tuning of stream processing systems. M. Bilal, M. Canini. In Proceedings of SoCC'17, Sep 2017.